This broccoli salad is my favourite new thing thanks to Jane, a lovely woman I met the other night. During drinks, loud conversation and interruptions I managed to get this out of her…..
1) soak the chopped cranberries in lemon juice
2) whizz up the broccoli in a food processor
3) chop the almonds and finally, combine all three.
So, grab your head of broccoli, lemon, almonds and cranberries and get started.
Chop up the cranberries and soak them in the juice of 1 lemon for 30 minutes. Jane’s idea of soaking the dried cranberries in lemon juice is brilliant, it gives them the best flavour and adds a really important kick to the salad.
Process the broccoli and the almonds(separately). I like mine to resemble tabouli, so I do it quite fine. You, of course can do as you please.
Now combine all three.
Seriously, too easy. I added a little bit of salt and pepper.
Jane added bacon to hers and probably a whole lot more but we never managed to finish the conversation, so the story ends here. Regardless, this version is a great base for you to start playing around with. If you want any more inspiration, use google images and search broccoli salad.
If you have never made Tzatziki, look it up. It’s a greek yoghurt dressing with cucumber, mint and parsley, This salad is perfect in pita breads with hummus, tzatziki and chicken.
Here’s the recipe in print.
- ½ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- ¾ cup almonds, chopped
- 1 x broccoli head, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Soak the cranberries in the lemon juice for 30 minutes, until the juice has started to be absorbed.
- Whizz up the almonds in a food processor, set aside.
- Whizz up the broccoli, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cranberries, almonds and broccoli, season to taste.
Black sesame seeds would also look good.
Jane added bacon.