I’ve made the same melting moment recipe for years…we’re talking 1988…that’s quite some time ago. This is an updated version of the original recipe from The Australian Women’s Weekly, The Big Book Of Beautiful Biscuits, http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Biscuits-Australian-Womens-Library/dp/0949892106/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1399874612&sr=1-1&keywords=AWW+beautiful+biscuits
I am very much attached to my two AWW cookbooks, one is biscuits, the other is cakes….they really are fantastic. I taught myself to bake with these, and will be forever grateful for them.
There isn’t much to these biscuits, they’re super easy, I’d just like to make two important points. I melt the chocolate and Nutella together, then put the mixture into the fridge to set. THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN READY TO PIPE AND ROCK HARD…..trust me…I let it happen to myself today. I checked the mixture and it was nearly set enough to pipe, thought I’d just quickly do something on the computer, two minutes later…rock hardness. If this happens to you, pop it in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time until it’s back to piping consistency. The second point is….it would be very easy to over bake these biscuits, they don’t need to be browned, golden crisp…just slightly golden.
These biscuits are actually quite tiny, the recipe makes about 16 complete biscuits.
I have included this photo as another option, instead of sandwiching them together. I only did one, a whole stack of these would look really cool! I’ll have to leave that for you to decide…
- 250g butter, softened
- 60g icing sugar
- 100g roasted hazelnuts, ground
- 125g plain flour
- 70g cornflour
- 100g dark chocolate
- 100g Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar for 3-5 minutes until light in colour.
- Add the hazelnuts, flour and cornflour, mix until well blended (about 30 seconds, using a mixer).
- Take about a teaspoon of mixture and roll into a ball using your hands. Place balls on tray and make a slight indent with your finger.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until done.
- Put the chocolate and Nutella into a bowl and melt over simmering water. Set aside or place in the refrigerator until it is of piping consistency.
- Pipe a big fat dollop of chocolate onto half of the biscuits and pop the remaining biscuits on top.
- Dust with icing sugar and cocoa.