I was in Bakers Delight purchasing some bread and sampled their new orange chocolate chip scones …delicious…hence this cake. As you can imagine, the smashed Jaffas on top will make this very popular if you have kids in the house…..keeping in mind the little (I won’t say) will tend to sneak back in and PICK OFF THE JAFFAS…not even funny! Grrrrrrrrrrrr.
Here’s the inside.
I double bagged the Jaffas when I smashed them, just in case their sharp edges came through the bag.
If you bake it , let me know how it turns out, even better, send me a photo!
Good luck and happy baking.
- 180g butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- zest of 2 oranges
- 200g cooked pumpkin puree
- juice of two oranges (need 125ml)
- 100g coconut
- 400g self-raising flour
- 100g chocolate chips
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2Tbsp orange juice
- About 20 Giant Jaffas
- Cream the butter, orange zest and sugar for 2 minutes until light in colour.
- Beat in the pumpkin puree, then the eggs, followed by the juice. It will look split and weird, doesn't matter, still works. If using a bench top mixer, use the whisk attachment.
- By hand, using a spatula, fold in the coconut, flour and chocolate chips.
- I baked it in a round 10inch tin for about 50 minutes at 170°C. Always test with a sharp knife or skewer that the cake is done.
- Place Jaffas in a plastic bag and smash with a rolling pin, set Jaffas aside.
- Over a pan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and orange juice. When it has cooled slightly, don't want it too runny, pour it over the cake. and sprinkle Jaffas on top.
- Mmmmmmm, then dig in!
You will may need 3 oranges for this recipe, as you need juice for the icing.
It's really important when you zest oranges or lemons that you don't get the pith (white part) in, as it will definitely give the cake a bitter after taste…nasty!
There is not a huge amount of chocolate icing, as I felt the cake didn't need it with all those Jaffas..if you want more, just increase the amount of chocolate by another 50 grams and add a couple of teaspoons of orange juice.